Thursday, May 15, 2008

Numerous blessings

Monday morning I woke up early to work on homework before my 8am class. After a go at it I decided to distract myself by looking at the latest news on drudgereport.com. Two major headlines hit me hard. The first one I saw referred to the earthquake in China and said "Death toll to 9,000. " The second referred to the cyclones of last week, "Burma deaths 'could top a million.'" The worst part for me wasn't the natural disasters, but that the Burmese government wasn't allowing a lot of aid into the country. The majority of the deaths could have been prevented with aid, but the government's slow reaction insured disease would take a stronger toll on those within the cyclone's destructive path.

Upon seeing these headlines tears unexpectedly welled up in my eyes and I quickly got down on my knees to thank the Lord for the countless blessings I have. (My calculus exam I had been stressing about suddenly seemed so insignificant). I also prayed with more fervor than I remember ever doing that those who may be suffering may be comforted and helped.

I hope that I can maintain with me the perspective that I gained that morning. I know that I have more blessings than I deserve. I should always be grateful for them and do whatever I can, through prayer and through actions, to help those in need.

"Perilous times? Yes. These are perilous times. But the human race has lived in peril from the time before the earth was created. Somehow, through all of the darkness, there has been a faint but beautiful light. And now with added luster it shines upon the world. It carries with it God’s plan of happiness for His children. It carries with it the great and unfathomable wonders of the Atonement of the Redeemer."
-President Gordon B. Hinckley

Also look at Elder Ballard's talk, "The Joy of Hope Fulfilled."

3 comments:

Big Daddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Big Daddy said...

Great email, Jordan. We really are a blessed people, but so many in this country take what we have for granted. While millions of people (especially the children) in the world suffer as reported on the news the past few weeks, many here in American don't give it a second thought. When you think about it, most of the complaints we have in this country are so trivial compared to the multitudes of the world's population. Those are the people who would do whatever it took to get to this country. Perhaps those who are dissatisfied with things here in the USA ought to try living in one of the 3rd world countries for at least a year. I think they would come back with a greater appreciation of our freedoms. (By the way, there's no spell check on this comment page...oh well)

AngelaGomillion said...

I think we all tend to forget how lucky and blessed we are. Then somethings happen and we realize we don't have it so bad at all. My worst fear is to loose the ones I am close to. I couldn't imagine being in a huge natural disaster and loosing ALL or nearly ALL my friends and family. Make sure you tell those close to you that you love them often. You realize how precious life is. Expecially now that I have an 8 1/2 month old that I couldn't imagine living without!