Monday, August 18, 2008

Les Misérables

Today I finished reading one of the greatest stories ever written. It took me over half a year to do (including 5 1/2 months during school when I didn't even pick it up). But when I picked it back up I could easily remember what I had already read.

Why was Les Miserables so great? The characters, especially that of Jean Valjean, are so intricate. He goes through an amazing transformation because of the charitable, hope-filled act of one kind soul. This changes his whole attitude and perspective on life. But he still has many choices to make, and things never come easy. There were times when I hoped, but didn't know what he would do. Then there is the determined Javert that seems the embodiment of the letter of the law.

If you have not read this book, read it! I did shed a few tears near the end. I'm not afraid to admit it. I don't know if I've ever had a book draw me in like this. I'll share two of my favorite lines from the last part:

"God knows better than we do what we need."

"It is nothing to die; it is frightful not to live."

1 comment:

Mikaela said...

I agree it is a wonderful book. I'm not sure I liked the ending though!