Sunday, June 7, 2009

In Fasting We Approach Thee

I haven't written about spiritual matters for a little while, so I felt like doing that today. I have a very strong testimony of fasting and prayer. The Lord has worked miracles in my life because of the combination of these two.

What has stuck out to me lately is how taking the time to fast helps me to reflect on what the Lord wants of me. As I sincerely think about what I should fast for, I become more in tune with Heavenly Father. He is better able to guide me--not only with the thing I am fasting for--but with all things in my life. It's amazing how that works. We learn in Helaman 3:35 that the Lord taught the people to "fast and pray oft." This helps them to become pure and sanctified because they are learning to "[yield] their hearts unto God." Learning to put the will of the Lord before our own desires.

No comments: